Discovering the allure of Oxford as a place to call home unveils a tapestry woven with history, academic brilliance, and a vibrant cultural mosaic. Within this city’s cobbled streets lies an amalgamation of opportunities and charm. Join us as we delve into why Oxford stands as an exceptional living destination, exploring the rich tapestry of its offerings and the abundance of rooms to rent in Oxford available for those seeking their niche in this historic yet dynamic city.
Historic Charm and Cultural Richness
Oxford is renowned for its rich history, picturesque architecture, and cultural diversity. Living here means being surrounded by centuries-old buildings, museums, and a vibrant arts scene. From the Bodleian Library to the Ashmolean Museum, the city offers an intellectual and cultural haven for residents.
Academic Excellence and Opportunities
Home to the prestigious University of Oxford, the city attracts scholars and intellectuals from around the world. Living in Oxford provides access to world-class education, research opportunities, and a stimulating academic environment.
Quality of Life
Despite being a bustling city, Oxford retains a sense of tranquillity. Its green spaces like Christ Church Meadows and Port Meadow offer serene retreats. The city also boasts excellent healthcare facilities, reliable public transportation, and a high standard of living.
Thriving Economy and Job Prospects
Oxford’s economy is diverse, encompassing sectors like education, science, technology, and healthcare. This diversity creates numerous job opportunities, making it an attractive place for career development and growth. Some of the top employers in Oxford include: University of Oxford, Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Oxford Brookes University, BMW Mini Plant Oxford. Oxford is home to various science and business parks, such as Oxford Science Park, Harwell Science and Innovation Campus, and Culham Science Centre. These hubs host numerous companies across technology, research, and innovation sectors.
Oxford is a lively city with a thriving nightlife scene. There are plenty of bars and clubs catering to all tastes, from traditional pubs to modern cocktail bars and dance clubs. The city’s rich history and vibrant culture also contribute to its lively atmosphere. The nightlife in Oxford is best enjoyed during the week, as the city is quieter on weekends.
Here are some of the best places to go for nightlife in Oxford:
- The Varsity Club: A four-level venue with a cocktail lounge, a nightclub, and a rooftop lounge with stunning views of the city.
- O’Neill’s Oxford: A lively pub with big-screen sports, live music, and Irish-inspired food and drink.
- Raoul’s Bar: A popular bar with a relaxed atmosphere and a wide selection of cocktails.
- The Tap Social Movement: A social enterprise bar that supports local businesses and charities.
- Junkyard Golf Club Oxford: A unique venue that combines golf with a variety of other activities, including mini-golf, beer pong, and karaoke.
- Jericho Comedy: A comedy club with a variety of stand-up acts.
- Sandy’s Piano Bar: A piano bar with a variety of music genres, including jazz, pop, and rock.
- The Lighthouse: A bar and restaurant with a rooftop terrace and stunning views of the city.
The nightlife in Oxford is a great place to meet new people, enjoy live music, and experience the city’s vibrant culture. Whether you’re looking for a pub crawl with friends, a night out dancing, or a quiet night listening to live jazz, Oxford has something for everyone!
Rooms to Rent in Oxford
Finding a place to live in Oxford is made easier by the availability of rooms for rent. Numerous options cater to various preferences and budgets. Online platforms like SpareRoom, Zoopla, local Facebook groups and local agencies offer a wide range of accommodations, from cozy rooms in shared houses to modern apartments. Coliving in Oxford is gaining popularity, especially among students, young professionals, and those seeking a community-oriented living experience. Coliving spaces in Oxford often foster a sense of community. They offer shared common areas, such as kitchens, living rooms, and sometimes workspaces, where residents can interact, collaborate, and socialise. B-Hive Living offers unique coliving spaces in both Kidlington and Bicester. When choosing where to live in Oxford consider proximity to work/uni, amenities, and transportation as well as determine your budget and the amenities you require (some places may include utilities, while others might not).
Best places to live in Oxford
Oxford offers a variety of neighbourhoods, each with its own unique charm and appeal. Some of the best places to live in Oxford include:
- Jericho – Known for its vibrant atmosphere and proximity to the city center, Jericho boasts a diverse community, independent shops, cafes, and a lively social scene. It’s popular among students and young professionals.
- Headington – Home to both the Churchill and Nuffield Hospitals, Headington has a diverse population and good transport links. It’s close to both the city centre and the Headington campus of Oxford Brookes University.
- Cowley – Cowley is a diverse and lively area known for its multiculturalism. It offers a range of housing options, easy access to amenities, and a bustling high street.
- Abingdon – Slightly further out from the city centre, Abingdon is a historic market town with picturesque surroundings, excellent schools, and a strong sense of community. It’s a great option for families or those seeking a more suburban lifestyle.
- Summertown – A leafy suburb with a more tranquil atmosphere, Summertown offers excellent schools, boutiques, restaurants, and parks. It’s ideal for families and those seeking a quieter lifestyle.
- Marston – Located northeast of the city centre, Marston is a residential area close to the University Parks. It’s quieter compared to some other areas and offers good access to the city centre.
Each of these areas has its own unique character, amenities, and advantages, catering to different lifestyles and preferences for living in Oxford. Exploring these neighbourhoods can help you find the perfect fit for your needs and interests when considering a place to live in Oxford. With a plethora of rooms to rent catering to various needs, living in this city can be both enriching and convenient.
Explore our rooms to rent options in Oxford!
B-Hive Living is a wellness-focused coliving brand developing and operating coliving spaces in Oxford and Bicester, UK, and now expanding internationally. We drive social change by exploring and promoting the concept of living well. We place it at the heart of our coliving design for a more connected, healthy, and fulfilling lifestyle for our residents. If you are looking for places to stay in Oxford you can apply to live with us here.